Sunday, September 26, 2010

Well this post is going to be a bit short. We actually were fairly busy this week, but neglected to take the camera along so not so many pictures. On Friday we I had to take the day off and head to the US Embassy with Kate. Work asked why I needed the day of and I told them (in Japanese) that "before we came to Japan we sold our home. We will be returning shortly and, although I would be OK to live under a bridge the family was not willing to. As a result we had to go to the Embassy to get a power of attorney form notarized." They laughed a little and let me take the day. We found the Embassy with little trouble, and because I had made an appointment online we got in and out in less than 1 hour. The line for everyone else stretched around the block.

Kate recently learned how to make korokke.
It is a deep fried dish with various fillings. In this case crab and potato versions. This will be added to the list of Japanese dishes for us to take home and continue enjoying. Kate types every new recipe she learns for future reference.


Since we are preparing to leave Kate had a night out with some of her friends. While Kate and Chizuko were out, Taka san and their children came to our house for the evening. He even brought dinner with him for us to enjoy. As always it was delicious and I was happy that I did not have to prepare anything.
After dinner we broke out an old favorite of Greg's, Pente. While the children were digging through things I saw it and thought it would be fun to play. The directions were in English, but with a little Japanese, a little English, and some example moves, we were off playing. After a number of games between Taka san and I, the children became interested and also participated. In the end it was a very enjoyable evening.

On Saturday we went to Nikko. We had gone months ago and saw a picture that we liked at an antique shop. At the time it was $350 and cash only. Since it was a lot of money and we did not have enough cash at the time we decided to think about it a little. Well we decided we liked it so we took the money out of the bank and headed to pick it up. When we entered the store we quickly found it and decided we should confirm the price before saying we would buy it. The worker this time was different and this time the price presented to us was $1000. That is way more, and again we didn't have the cash. I tried to explain that the price before was much less, but I have never perfected a method to argue in Japanese so we gave up and walked around the town a bit.
A typhoon went through the day before. I have been told that the weather after a typhoon passes is always nice, and this day was not an exception to the rule. It was cool, crisp, and beautiful. One thing of the many things I will miss from Japan is the customer service. We stopped for an ice cream cone and to sit and enjoy the suns warmth. After we finished our cones, the woman inside came out and gave us all hot tea to drink while we sat on the benches. Other than the fact that we came home with no picture, it was a great day.

Sunday I went on my final group ride with the guys have ridden bikes with over the last tow years. Ubukata san made the course and it was punishing. 150 miles with over 10,000 feet of climbing. We basically climbed the equivalent of sea level to the top of Mt Fuji over the 3 different mountain ascents. It was great training, and I will miss the mountains when we move back to Ohio, but man it was painful and I am wiped out today.

I try to avoid McDonalds when I can, but the other day we needed a quick and cheap lunch so we stopped. Everyone was only allowed to choose 1 food item and only water. For my choice I decided I should eat the Tamago Double mac as you can only get it in Japan. It is two patties, an egg, bacon, optional cheese, and special sauce. The advertisement makes it look awesome.. I opted for the healthy no cheese version.
In real life it looks much different. All the ingredients were there, but the colors were not so golden and glowing. It was tasty enough, but as I ate it the grease poured off of it onto my wrapper. In the end probably not so healthy. I don't figure I will get another before we go home..
Have a great week...

No comments: